The Need for Shipping Speed
Consumers now make 58% of their purchases online since COVID-19 began compared to just 32% before the pandemic, and many will spend more for expedited shipping, says a LaserShip survey. The study reveals:
- Gen Z and millennials are more likely to shop at new retailers if expedited shipping is provided compared to older generations.
- 40% of Gen Z shoppers and 37% of millennials say they are more likely to shop at a new retailer if they offer next-day delivery at an additional cost.
- 39% of Gen Z shoppers have paid for two-day delivery, 31% for next-day, and 32% for same-day.
- 47% of baby boomers say they plan to shop more online after the pandemic ends.
- 63% of consumers say offering faster delivery would influence signing up for a loyalty program.
- 28% of consumers say they are more likely to shop at new retailers with expedited same-day, next-day, or two-day shipping and are willing to pay for it.
- 26% cite expensive shipping as a main reason to not shop online more.
- 73% say they are more likely to buy from a new online retailer that offers some type of free shipping.
- 77% say free shipping is the most important option.
- 35% say offering next-day shipping is key for buying more online.
- 67% are satisfied with the shipping experience during COVID-19 compared with 80% of consumers before the pandemic.
- 63% of consumers have some tolerance for shipping delays during the pandemic.
- 37% say lowering shipping costs and providing free returns make delivery delays more acceptable.
- 98% say that shipping impacts brand loyalty.
- 84% say they are unlikely to purchase from a retailer after one negative shipping experience.