IN BRIEF: New Services & Solutions
The latest supply chain services and products.
- CargoSphere, the neutral rate network for container shipping, is now integrated with CargoWise One, WiseTech Global's flagship product, which enables logistics service providers to manage operations on one database across multiple users, functions, and countries. The integration gives CargoWise One users access to CargoSphere's rate management functions, allowing them to provide shippers with pricing and shipping data more quickly.
- Carriers can increase driver efficiency with the OverDryve 8 Pro, part of Rand McNally's OverDryve OS Connected Vehicle platform, offering navigation, onboard SiriusXM radio, voice assistance, a built-in dash cam, and hands-free calling and texting. The dashboard device is also e-log ready and features truck-specific routing with truck points of interest, advanced lane guidance, toll costs, warnings, and fuel logs.
- Yard management software inconso YMS offers increased functionalities in its latest release. Upgrades to inconso's software include extended control and dashboard functions, app features, and expansion modules for the smart yard, including a modernized graphical dashboard to improve yard process tracking.
- ProShip multi-carrier shipping software now enables shippers to improve global freight visibility, enhance operational control, and reduce shipping expenses through enVista's myShipINFO platform. A new partnership between the software companies adds enVista's myShipINFO features to ProShip, which provides shipping spend visibility, enabling shippers to make data-driven decisions.
- Spend management company JAGGAER is prototyping an artificial intelligence-based algorithm to predict the probability that goods and materials in direct procurement will be delivered on time. The JAGGAER OTD Predictor provides immediate information about the likelihood of supplier delivery delays, enabling supply chain managers to mitigate production disruptions.
- The Deliverator, a three-wheel, 100% electric delivery vehicle, is now available for preorder. Designed to reduce last-mile delivery costs for small businesses and in development at Arcimoto's manufacturing plant in Eugene, Oregon, the Deliverator has a top speed of 75 mph, a 350-pound carrying capacity, and more than 20 cubic feet of cargo space.
- The new HyWEAR hybrid barcode and RFID wearable combines optical and radio data collection technologies to make materials handling processes more efficient. This mobile device from Feig Electronics reads 1D and 2D barcodes, RAIN RFID transponders, or both barcode and RFID, leaving workers' hands unencumbered to pick up and move items.
- project44, a visibility platform for shippers and third-party logistics providers, added an ocean visibility feature that includes live vessel tracking of all containerized ships around the globe. Users gain access to shipment details including container location, ETA, and status.
- Kuebix, a transportation management system provider, introduced FleetMAX, a program designed to fill private fleet empty backhauls. Leveraging the company's relationship with Estes Truckload Management, FleetMAX removes administrative barriers, making it easier for shippers and brokers to access a network of fleet capacity through Estes.
- 3PL UTXL launched Haul Street, a cloud-based software company featuring its VuTrans in-transit shipment visibility tools. By boosting shipment visibility, the new company aims to reduce inefficiencies and waste, including empty miles.
- The CMA CGM Group enhanced its Europe/Indian Ocean and Australia offering by upgrading its fleet, expanding coverage to 19 ports, and improving northbound transit times. The upgraded service, which connects North Europe and the Mediterranean to the Indian Ocean islands and Australia on the southbound leg and Australia to Southeast Asia and Europe on the northbound leg, will launch in September 2019 and operate in partnership with MSC.
- Shippers in the Midwest can now tap a reliable air cargo service to Australia with the launch of Direct Express—Australia, a time-definite, scheduled service from Chicago to Sydney. DB Schenker offers the direct 777-300 freighter service to Sydney every Monday departing from Chicago.
- OOCL enhanced its Japan/Hong Kong/Southeast Asia service (KTX6) by adding a call in Nagoya, Japan, and increasing frequency. Transit time is nine days from Shekou, China, to Tokyo.
- AirBridgeCargo Airlines added Dhaka to its network, offering shippers twice-weekly frequency to the capital of Bangladesh. The flight operates in conjunction with AirBridgeCargo's Shanghai service and provides shippers with a wider choice of international connections than its Moscow cargo hub.
- Lufthansa Cargo is boosting service offerings in summer 2019 by deploying two new Boeing 777Fs and increasing frequencies on routes to and from Asia. The upgrade adds two new flights per week to the freighter connection from Frankfurt to Tokyo Narita. Seoul Incheon will also be connected on the outbound leg from Frankfurt.
- Forklift users considering alternative energy sources to lower operational costs might consider materials handling company Crown Equipment's new integrated lithium-ion energy storage system for forklifts. Crown has made the V-Force lithium-ion system available for its entire product line.
- Honeywell's new full touchscreen handheld computer is designed to boost employee efficiency for small to mid-sized businesses by increasing productivity in retail and delivery applications. The ScanPal EDA51 handheld computer features a 5-inch display while the integrated scanner processes barcode information, even if the code is damaged.
- Big Ass Fans' Pivot 2.0 fan brings air movement to hard-to-reach areas of the warehouse with its versatile mounting options, 73 airflow positions, and speed controls. The fan operates quietly and can circulate cooling air as far away as 120 feet thanks to its 6-foot diameter and direct-drive motor.
- The QC Series Mobile Powered Workstation from Newcastle Systems reduces worker motion, product transportation, and touches on the manufacturing or warehouse floor. In addition to quality testing, employees can use the workstation to print and scan labels, track assets, and control software platforms such as ERP and WMS.
- These high-performance, fully powered pallet trucks from Presto ECOA are designed for warehouses, loading docks, manufacturing and assembly work cells, and retail stores. PowerStak Stackers come in multiple configurations, including fork-over for use with open-bottom pallets, straddle for use with any style pallet including closed bottom, and counterbalanced for loading and unloading trucks.
- Iowa State University's online supply chain management program provides industry professionals with the foundational concepts and technical skills they need to manage global operations. The graduate certificate is designed for working professionals and students seeking a supply chain position.
- DHL Express enhanced its Medical Express (WMX) service between Mexico and the United States. The WMX service, which reduces transit times for urgent temperature-sensitive shipments from primary cities by one additional day, now expands into 17 new origin cities in Mexico.
- Shippers gain access to faster financing with a working capital solution from Arviem, a provider of IoT-enabled cargo tracking services. Arviem's new offering finances goods in transit, providing traceability and verifying their movements for regulatory purposes and risk mitigation.
- Easyship's retail and e-tail customers gain improved access to cross-border e-commerce solutions in Europe, North America, Asia Pacific, and Australia through a new global partnership with SEKO Logistics. Users can book deliveries directly through SEKO on the Easyship platform, which provides tax and duty calculations, rate comparisons, customs documentation, and a shipping management dashboard.
- Steel King Industries' SK2000 closed tube roll-form rack systems provide the framework for multi-level pick module/distribution centers. Featuring a fully welded tubular upright, SK2000 racks offer greater impact resistance than open-back-style uprights.