IN BRIEF: New Services & Solutions
- The new Impact-A-Track LED is designed to protect door tracks against forklifts, pallet jacks, and other equipment in high-traffic warehouse areas. The low-profile communication system from APS Resource is constructed with ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene and features red and green LED lights to communicate restraint status.
- Short-range wireless identification solutions designer Confidex released its new TireTag, which is designed to be embedded inside a tire before the vulcanization process and tracks it throughout its life cycle. The tag's small size and omni-directional antenna design make it suitable for both warehouse and yard management applications.
- Cold chain shippers can now monitor shipments with a tracker that provides connectivity through emerging technologies such as Category M (Cat-M) and Narrow Band Internet of Things (NB-IoT). Emerson's GO Real-Time Tracker based on 4G/Cat-M technology can monitor in-transit conditions, such as temperature, location, light, and humidity for up to 20 days of continuous operation. The unit includes 2G connectivity as a backup and will also accommodate emerging 5G networks.
- Mezzanine Safeti-Gates' Dock-Lift safety gate received a patent for its crossing-guard operation, which ensures safety in lifts used in tight spaces. The gates pivot up and off to the side instead of swinging away, which allows them to fit lifts in areas close to the building or loading dock.
- Electric forklift users can further boost energy efficiency with new lithium-ion power solutions from Mitsubishi Caterpillar Forklift America, which manufactures forklifts under the Jungheinrich brand. The lithium-ion battery solutions and integrated batteries support more than 40 electric forklifts, reducing maintenance and offering long life cycles for greater uptime and productivity.
- Shippers moving cargo between the UK and India will have a direct link to and from the north of England starting in October 2020 when Virgin Atlantic Cargo launches its new Manchester-Delhi services. The air carrier plans to operate three A330-200 flights every Monday, Thursday, and Saturday.
- Topper Industrial's two-position transfer cart enables easier loading of materials. By moving materials with powered rollers, the automated transfer cart increases load capacities and improves cycle time.
- Sellers on Walmart's platform can now access the retailer's supply chain capabilities—from storing, picking, packing, and shipping to reverse logistics and customer service—through its new Walmart Fulfillment Services (WFS). Participating sellers pay a low storage and fulfillment fee and can access Walmart's fulfillment options, including two-day shipping, and in the future, next-day delivery.
- Confectionery, snack, and other food suppliers, both refrigerated and dry, can benefit from a time-defined temperature-controlled distribution service from Weber Logistics, which established pool distribution hub operations in Kent and Vancouver, Washington. Delivering the food products to retail distribution centers throughout the Pacific Northwest, the new operation consolidates products with similar temperature requirements.
- Sensitive-freight shippers, such as farmers, fresh food suppliers, and retailers, can now take advantage of tailored service from Arrive Fresh, Arrive Logistics' new division focused on serving perishable shipments. Arrive Fresh moves produce, meat, fish, seafood, dairy, and flower freight by leveraging a centralized team that identifies optimal carriers.
- Ryder System expanded its peer-to-peer truck sharing platform, COOP by Ryder, to the Dallas-Fort Worth market to meet the growing demand for commercial vehicle sharing. COOP lets commercial vehicle owners generate revenue by renting idle trucks and trailers to a network of vetted shippers. In addition to Dallas-Fort Worth, the platform is also available throughout Georgia and Florida.
- Pilot Freight Services added warehouse capacity in El Paso, Texas and increased its Foreign Trade Zone (FTZ) capacity. Pilot's El Paso FTZ offers U.S.-based companies the option to defer, reduce, or even eliminate customs duties on its products admitted to the zone. Located close to the Zaragoza Bridge, the FTZ allows for shorter transit times to the Mexico border.
- Logistics provider Gebrüder Weiss now offers land transport to all regions of Russia, securing this cargo service with its new and exclusive partner JDE (Zheldor Ekspeditsiya). The general freight carrier JDE's 244 locations in Russia augment Gebrüder Weiss' international network, providing access to markets in Central and Southeastern Europe, as well as Central Asia and the United States.
- Shippers can now customize weather alerts in Baron's Threat Net monitoring and forecasting tools. Users select a weather parameter to monitor and choose the condition or forecast criteria to trigger an alert. When conditions are met, alerts are delivered via text and email, or onscreen to a desktop or tablet.
- Evergreen Line launched GreenX, an integrated container logistics solution platform. GreenX offers spot rates with secured space, letting shippers book space with prioritized equipment supplied by the carrier. The digital portal, powered by neutral freight technology supplier BlueX Trade, also enables shippers to make payments and submit verified gross mass and bill of lading instructions online.
- Averitt Express unveiled a transportation management system (TMS) called Averitt Connect designed for small and mid-sized shippers. The transportation and logistics services provider partnered with MyCarrierTMS to provide customers access to a centralized, browser-based platform to manage LTL shipping at no charge.
- SMC³'s cloud-based Bid$ense, which allows LTL shippers to lock in over-the-road contract rates and manage bid events automatically, is now offering these capabilities to truckload users. The new truckload functionality streamlines truckload freight transportation procurement, allowing shippers and 3PLs to bid out freight to a wide range of carriers.
- One Network Enterprises, a provider of multi-party business networks for autonomous supply chain management, released the latest version of its Global Logistics Gateway, designed to help organizations digitize transportation processes. Shippers can publish demand, while allowing transportation providers, digital freight matching companies, and other freight marketplaces to post available capacity and rates. The service then selects the best available capacity.
- LTL shippers can digitize the paper bill of lading process with a new solution from Roadrunner Freight, a business unit of Roadrunner Transportation Systems. The new technology, which utilizes advanced API connectivity, enables customers to electronically submit shipping documents and improve the quality of data.
- The New York Shipping Exchange (NYSHEX), which aims to increase ocean reliability through digital contracting, launched an enhancement allowing shippers to utilize the NYSHEX framework and technology to secure, monitor, and enforce ocean contracts signed outside of the exchange.
- Infinity Intermodal (formerly Infinity Transportation Logistics LLC) increased the size of its refrigerated intermodal container fleet and also added a new lane to/from Minnesota, with more lanes planned in 2020. Infinity Intermodal offers Pacific Northwest shippers access to nearly two-thirds of U.S. consumers, providing temperature-controlled, full truckload, door-to-door domestic intermodal service.
- Produce and floral shippers can now monitor the humidity of their shipments with DeltaTrak's FlashLink In-Transit BLE TH (Temperature & Humidity) Logger. Also offering temperature and location monitoring, the logger employs wireless technology and smart phone functionality to provide trip data.
- Airfreight transportation provider LATAM Cargo launched two routes for cargo originating in the United States, increasing capacity from North America to Central and South America. The new Miami-Panama-Bogota and Miami-Cali routes are operated by B767-300F aircraft twice per week to support demand for general cargo, electronics, pharma, and dangerous goods.
- Port Manatee-based World Direct Shipping added a third vessel to its weekly services across the Gulf of Mexico. New ports of call include Tuxpan, the closest commercial port to Mexico City, and Tampico in the state of Tamaulipas.
- Perishable cargo shippers can now avail of ZIM's seasonal Egypt-Black Sea Express reefer service. The weekly, fixed-day service provides a direct link from Alexandria to Novorossiysk NUTEP terminal with a four-day transit time.
- Airfreight shippers can expect increased connections with the launch of the expanded Trans-Atlantic joint venture from Air France-KLM Cargo, Delta Air Lines Cargo, and Virgin Atlantic Cargo. The new partnership enables the airlines to offer a combined network of up to 341 peak daily Trans-Atlantic services.
- OOCL, COSCO Shipping Lines, Ocean Network Express, and Yang Ming launched a new East Mediterranean—America Service. The weekly service bolsters the ocean carriers' Trans-Atlantic coverage.
- ID Label's Eco Tote Renew, an eco-friendly, linerless version of its tote labeling solution, is a label holder that applies permanently to reusable warehouse containers. Its coated surface makes it easy to apply and remove barcode tracking labels, eliminating the need to scrape off old labels or stack multiple labels on top of each other.
- The cargo-partner iLogistics Center next to Prague Airport was certified for storing and handling organic products in accordance with the EU Eco-regulation by the inspection body ABCERT. The facility provides optimal storage conditions for milk, meat, baked goods, beverages, fruits, and vegetables in primary packaging as well as other goods requiring temperature-controlled storage.